Friday, February 18, 2011

Sick

Tessa is rarely sick (thank goodness) but today has been one of the worst.  We managed to have some fun outdoors with our company this morning, but as evening grew near she went downhill fast.  I always tell my patients that everything gets worse at night (due to falling cortisol levels) and I was able to witness it today.  Fevers close to 104 and a lethargic baby.  I almost went into panic mode when her fever was spiking and she was not due for more medication until 30 minutes later (I've had her on Tylenol every 4 hours and Motrin every 6 all day long).  I will have parents tell me that their kids are still spiking fever even bring on both meds, and I always think they aren't giving the medicine correctly.  After double checking my milligram per kilogram dosing, I assured myself that I was doing it correctly, and those parents were right, kids will still spike fevers.  The only bright side is that I was able to rock my toddler baby to sleep for the first time in months (probably almost a year).  I actually got to do it twice, and I am prepared and happy to do it a third if I need to tonight.

Even sick, she is a pretty good baby.  After Scott was giving her medication just now, she replied:
"Thank you, Daddy"

I love this kid :)

No comments: