Sunday, July 8, 2012

San Diego!

Two weeks ago, we escaped the Arizona heat (I seriously think it was in the 115 range that week) to go to San Diego, where Scott was attending a shoulder conference.  It was a welcome break, and although we brought along the infant carseat just in case, I didn't think anything would happen.  Turns out I started having contractions on the drive out of Phoenix!  But obviously we still don't have a baby, so it was just false labor (I'll do that math for you - that's 18 days of contractions and no baby yet).  The way to San Diego takes you pretty close right next to Mexico.  That dark brown line is the border fence.  Tessa entertained herself with movies and jewelry making.  Jumping on the bed was a must after arriving at the hotel after the 5.5 hour drive!


After hanging out at the hotel the first day, Tessa and I went to Balboa Park while Scott was in his conference.  We played on the playground, rode and train and carousel multiple times. 




We met up with Scott the day after and headed down to La Jolla to look at the seals at Children's Beach.




After driving fighting thru traffic, we ended up at Mission Beach.


Later that evening, we met up with our friends Barry and Rachel, who invited us out to Island Prime.  Scott and I ordered the trio of sorbets for desert - obviously we were not expecting to share a gallon of ice cream!


Tessa and Jaxson were treated to complementary chocolate sundaes, but it wasn't enough for them so they finished up our gallon of sorbet as well!


The next morning, we met up with them again for breakfast at The Red Sail Inn, and then headed over to SeaWorld!






Tessa was a little less than impressed about the Shamu Show 6 ton 26 foot long trained ocean mammal, but was super excited to pet a dolphin and feed "sting rays" (aka manta rays).



The kids had fun playing at the splash pad and riding the rides in the toddler area.




Tessa loved the polar bear and talks about his cave all the time.



After a busy day at SeaWorld, we had to wake her up to make it to dinner with some more friends that evening.  I thought I would snap a quick pic of her asleep before the sunlight woke her up.  When she rolled over, we noticed a large bump underneath her shirt.  She slept the whole time with a stuffed mouse in her shirt!  Silly girl!


After a fun time with Arizona friends Christina and Christimon (Simon) and our long distance friends Kelly and Ty (we met them at Christina and Simon's wedding in Costa Rica), the following morning was our last day.  We headed back down to the tide pools in La Jolla.



I am proud to say Tessa is no sissy, and held a hermit crab and some other crab-like sea creature.







Hooray for our last vacation as a family of three!  It was an awesome time!

No comments: